Thursday, September 18, 2008

Who Educates the Educators?

So. I've started the teaching credential program at CSULB. Single subject, English, to answer your next question. And when I say "I've started the teaching credential program," what I really mean is that I'm taking the class that will help me compile the requisite folder of paperwork and test results, prepare for the one-on-one interview, and collect my moolah so that I can enter the credentialing program. For how little teachers get paid, it sure costs a lot to become one. On top of the cost of books and tuition for the class, it's going to be about $275 in test fees, $100 in online processing fees, $50 in paperwork fees, five to ten dollars here and there for TB testing, fingerprinting, and etc and etc.

I'm guessing this will get a lot frustrating before I come out the other end. And then is when the real work begins.

My teacher was very upfront in the first class meeting: one of the purposes of the class is to help us determine whether or not this is what we really want to be doing. Teaching isn't an easy profession. Summers off are outweighed by the simple fact that, during the school year, there are vere few times in which a good teacher isn't thinking about the classroom. Am I ready to make that sort of commitment? The truth is, I don't know.

I believe absolutely in the importance of education. Whether it's nature or nurture, having two high school teachers for parents means it's a belief I've had all my life. I believe in the power of a teacher to transform the life of a student, and I've known plenty of people who simply never had that teacher. Who grew up ambivalent about reading, unimpressed by history, and preferring not to think beyond what's necessary for every day life. I think that those people have been failed by the education system and by each and every teacher who had the chance to change their lives and instead let them walk out their doors.

Just because I believe all that doesn't of course, mean that teaching is the job for me. But I do tend to have an "if not me, who?" view of the world. It's never been so expensive before, nor involved so much paperwork. I'm interested to see where this path leads me. And I hope you are too, because I think I'm going to start writing about it.

In the meantime, check out LBPOSTSports.com to see what me and the gang have been up to recently. Mike's a bona fide sports writer now, and he's pretty much tearing it up over there. Angie's responsible for the website being so cool, and I helped with a lot of the design-side, as well as providing a few of the pix.

4 comments:

Cassie T. said...

Ahem...cough...I believe it is "bonafide".
But besides that, you are doing what I once attempted, and I VERY quickly found out that it is not for yours truly. I hope you find differently and are pleased to find differently. We need more wonderful, awesome, Shar-like teachers in this world. If not Shar, then who?

sharleen higa said...

Woah... good call. Soon my secret identity as a horrible, horrible speller will be revealed.

English credential, here I come!

Wesley said...

Totally spot on. I believe teachers at all levels can make huge differences. I am teaching/tutoring for princeton review, but I do not need to think about the classroom 24 hours a day. I'm not sure I could make the leap to teaching as a lifestyle. I shall be reading to see how your journey is going.

Angie said...

Re: bona fide
I had to look this one up recently because I used it in an email to my mom of all people. Random House and OED both list it as two words but I swear I've seen it as one more than once. The original Latin is two separate words, meaning "with good faith." Random House lists the alternative spelling bona-fide (which I've never seen) but not the one word, bonafide. The one word incarnation is doing that weird thing where it looks more correct to me, even though now I know it's not. English! You are so silly the way you take over/amoeba foreign words!

Yes, I'm procrastinating by reading your old posts. Confession: I created a blogger account for the Century Club last week and now I can't remember what the login or password is! Whoops.