Thursday, August 9, 2007

Shar Party!

So, Monday morning, Mike goes out to check the mailbox. This has lately become a very exciting part of our day, as each trip usually yields some pretty green rsvp cards letting us know that Yes! some cherished friend or relative is coming to see us get married. Anyway, on this particular day, Mike comes back in with a big grin on his face. "Not many rsvp's, but you got something exciting..."

Yes friends!! A letter arrived from UCLA's diploma processing center announcing that finally, over a year since I walked across the stage in Royce Hall all be-decked in gown and cap, my graduation is finally official. After over a year of fretful optimism and crushing disappointment, my diploma has started its two-month-long journey to my mailbox!

So yeah, great day. Dan and Beef came over for dinner & hang out time and it was pleasant all around. Until I realized that it was after two in the morning and I had work at 7 am the next day...

Blarg. Three hours of anxious sleep later, and I was getting ready for my day. I put up an away message on AIM: "i am not expecting today to be particularly fantastic. go ahead, tuesday! prove me wrong!" It didn't start out well. Three people called out on the busiest Tuesday of the month: over 30 new hardcovers and almost 40 new paperbacks to put on display, as well as big changes for all the other displays and tables in the store. A surprise lunch with the boss (a "business lunch" at Boston's for the GM and the employee of the month!), a closed-door meeting with one of my other managers about a full-time job I think I might take, and some surly customers rounded out a very very busy day. I called Mike when I clocked out to let him know I was staying at work for an extra 22 mins to wind down with an episode of Arrested Development in the break room. "Okay! Take your time. I'll see you when you get home." Forty minutes later, I opened the kitchen door, put my leftovers in the fridge, rounded the corner into the living room to see...

A Shar Party!!

So sorry for all of you that missed out! There were balloons and presents and some delicious treats. Oh, and there were even party decorations on the wall! I am sorry for those who missed out... alas, it was a very exclusive guest list. Just me and my hub2be! Here he is, looking very pleased with himself:

And here's me, equally pleased and super happy:
Did I mention there were party hats? Cuz there were! I literally got cheek cramps from smiling so big. Long story short: my hub2be is the best. We watched The Princess Bride (cuz I'm a princess, evidently) and then I fell asleep on the couch until it was time for a delicious steak dinner at the future-in-laws'.

What could be better?