Thursday, June 14, 2007

something i think i may start doing!

since graduating from ucla and moving back to Long Beach, the question i get asked most often is "so, what are you doing now?" i guess i should kinda take it as a compliment. people characterize me as the Type Of Person Who Does Things, and are thus curious as to What I Am Up To Now. well, the truth is, i'm not really up to much. there's planning for the wedding, of course, and that's taking a lot of time and energy and is generally rather exciting. and there's trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life... yeah, we'll get to that later. what's really taking up my waking hours (and many hours that should rightly be spent sleeping) is working at Borders down at the Pike.

it's not the best job in the world. there's lots of crazies, there's the general lameness that comes anytime one is required to spend 8 hours a day doing something. but, at the end of the day, i'm working with pretty neat people and i'm always surrounded by books. so that's rad. one of the cool things that comes with the territory is thinking constantly about books i've read, books i'd like to read, and completely unrelated things that leap into my head prompted by some word or image on the cover of a book i'm shelving.

here's what i'm thinking: every day i stare the Borders Bestsellers display, which faces the registers where i stand uncomfortably and wait for a customer to deposit their manga or self help dribble uponst my scanner. i'm gonna start writing based on what's staring back at me. if it amuses me, i may keep it up for a while. if it fails to amuse me? let's be honest. i've got a shorter attention span than you. i'll think of something else.

3 comments:

more salt please said...

Hello. I found your blog and I enjoy it. Maybe you will enjoy mine too.

Mike Guardabascio said...

Hooray! And your dad loves spam...

P I F F L A N said...

Always up to something? Sounds like me :)